Kasol- Mecca for the Potheads
If you talk about going to Kasol here in North India, the very first thing that will come to mind will be “Hashish” and next would be the beautiful treks (Khir Ganga and Malana). My group and I was guilty of latter however no judgments as we all are slaves to our own choices of pleasures 🙂
Kasol, not to be confused with Kasauli is a village in lush green Parvati Valley of Himalayas situated on the banks of Parvati River. It lies between the cities of Bhuntar and Manikaran in state of Himachal Pradesh in India.
This small village spread over an area of hardly 3 kilometers, has cool cafés serving amazing Lebanese food, North Eastern food (Thupka is to kill for and nutella momos should be tried at least once), some tourist shops where I suggest you should bargain as the prices will be excessive like every other tourist place. You can walk and cover the entire city without getting tired.
Here are few tips while planning your trip to the heaven of hashish and hub of bagpackers-Kasol:
- You’ll find buses to reach Bhuntar from where you can take a cab or local bus to Kasol. We took a private taxi straight from Delhi to Kasol
- Places to stay can be found cheap. We stayed at Hotel Anupam, extremely cheap with good services.
- Major attractions are Kasol, Manikaran Sahib, Khir Ganga Trek and Malana
- For Khir Ganga, you may want to stay overnight at Khir Ganga, therefore plan your trip accordingly. I will suggest taking 3 days for Kasol excluding the travel time to be able to relax and enjoy the best
- Malana Trek, Manikaran Sahib can be covered in one day provided you start with Malana Trek in the early morning itself (leave from Kasol by 7 am).
- Khir Ganga Trek will require an entire day since it is a beautiful 14km trek.
- Bargaining is a must at the tourist shops.
- The food is amazing and cheap. Thupka, Nutella Momos, and Lebanese platters are a must-try. You’ll fall in love with food.
- Avoid going in monsoon since roads to reach Kasol may not be in a good condition due to probable landslides.